In 1995 it was proposed that the Old Collegians Cricket Club (OCCC) merge with the Prince Alfred Old Collegians Cricket Club (PAOCCC)
MERGER OF PRINCE ALFRED OLD COLLEGIANS CRICKET CLUB (PA0C)
WITH OLD COLLEGIANS CRICKET CLUB (OCCC)
It is proposed that Prince Alfred Old Collegians Cricket Club and Old Collegians Cricket Club merge under the name of PAOC Cricket Club and base their headquarters at the Old Collegians Club and ground facilities located at Tregenza Oval, Linden Park.
HERITAGE OF PAOC
Part of the heritage of PAOC exists at Old Collegians. In 1936 PAOC established the Old Collegians Rugby Club at Tregenza Oval with the subsequent formation of the OCCC in 1972.
MEMBERSHIP OF OLD COLLEGIANS
Over the years a considerable number of PA0C have represented Old Collegians in both cricket and rugby. A number of PAOC currently are members of the Old Collegians. Overall Rugby Membership comprises 200 members and Cricket 80 registered players. In the cricket section there are approximately 25 regular cricketers, the remainder filling in for a game or two during the season. Members of the Old Collegians generally comprise professional, semi professional, trade people and students from the Eastern Suburbs.
REASONS FOR MERGER
Old Collegians Cricket Club fields 3 cricket teams in the ATCA. Expansion to 6 teams under the control of PAOC would result in greater use of the facilities, prevent ground and club facilities being lost to other sports in the summer and allow PAOC to strengthen its cricket club and return to its home base established in the 1930's. It is suggested that Old Collegians players be made affiliate members of PAOC cricket club allowing playing status only but no other connection with PAOC to tie in with the current constitution of PA0C.
OCCC reports to the Old Collegians Rugby Football Club (OCRFC). Cricketers pay a $20 annual affiliation membership to OCRFC. In a "quid pro quo" arrangement OCRFC pays ground fees to Burnside Council during summer while cricketers utilise bar and club house facilities, prepare wickets and clean club rooms.
Old Collegians Cricket club is very fortunate to be able to play on Tregenza Oval which is situated along Booth Ave in Linden Park. The oval is recognised as one of the most scenic in the ATCA. A well appointed clubhouse overlooks the ground which is ringed by trees with the hills face as a backdrop. It is an ideal venue on a summer afternoon to meet friends, enjoy a drink and watch the cricket.
ADVANTAGES OF MERGER TO PAOC CRICKET CLUB
- Part of the heritage of PAOC exists at Tregenza Oval Club facilities.
- Establish a base for PAOC for cricket and social activities and create a natural meeting place for all PAOC.
- Strengthen the cricket membership and financial viability of the PAOCCC in the ATCA.
- Provide ground facilities for PAC school cricket. This has already occurred with PAC rugby teams practising at Tregenza Oval and holding their trophy presentations in the club house.
- Provide venue for the transition of PAC school leavers into PAOCCC under supervision of more senior old scholars.
- A strong PAOC cricket dub will forestall a quiet push by the ATCA board to "remove" Old Scholar Cricket Clubs from the ATCA.
ADVANTAGES OF MERGER TO OLD COLLEGIANS
- Prevent the folding of the OCCC and loss of players to other clubs.
- Prevent loss of Tregenza Oval to other sports.
- Provide a higher level of cricket to which players can aspire.
- Improve facilities for cricket provided by the Rugby Club and Cricket Club generated by profits earned from a more viable clubhouse operation in the summer period.
- Prevent the demise of another Old Scholars Cricket Club.