History of the Tregenza Oval & Clubhouse
In the Minutes of the Committee Meeting of 13th July 1955 "it was
resolved that the Assistant Hon. Secretary be asked to enquire into the availability of a
playing field on Frome Road and also the possibility of creating a club shed or shelter
shed on the ground."
On the 27th February 1956 a meeting held at the Saint Peter's College
Mission "suggested that the Linden Park Oval may be suitable for a home ground and it
was decided that the matter be left to the Secretary to investigate."
On the 29th January 1957 "We think that we may be able to secure a
ground at St. Peters College with the intention of calling it our Home Ground. Rev
Father Witt promised to make a personal contact to someone at the College regarding this
At the Annual General Meeting of 1956 held on Friday 8th February 1957 it
was stated that "no home ground had been established as yet." while at a meeting
of the 28th February the "secretary reported that S.A.R.U. had arranged a home ground
for the Club at Linden Park. It was agreed that the Committee inspect the ground at
a convenient time to assess all the matters related to keeping the ground in good
order." "Mr. C.L. Holdich generously offered to make and supply
corner posts for the new home ground."
Meanwhile, "practices are to be held on the PAC Back Oval, as last year. The
Headmaster Mr. J.A. Dunning is (to) be thanked once more by the Club."
The Grounds were not yet established. In the Minutes of the 12th of
August 1957 " ... the Committee have hoped that a ground at Payneham at the corner of
Felixstowe and Payneham roads, may be available, rent free, to the Club, to be developed
into a Rugby Home Ground. The Committee will probably investigate the matter within
a week or so" ... "It was also learnt ... that if the Club does develop the
ground at Payneham .... all gate takings on a ground such as this must go to the
In the 1957 Annual Report "At last we have a home-ground. The
Linden Park ground and it's facilities, in an attractive setting, have been made available
to us by the Rugby Union. Late in the season, in the offing, there was talk of
acquiring our own Club ground and establishing a Clubroom and Rugby field. This is
the ideal that was left in mind, and the matter at present rests in the negotiating
The change rooms were then initially a green shed while refreshments were
served out of an accompanying lean-to. In ? the clubhouse was built but without the
change rooms beneath the main floor - this was for some time a mudpatch much loved by the
children of the club's players. In 1978 the change rooms beneath were built.
In ? the extension to the right of the building was laid and a roof provided in
When the Club had no clubhouse various hotels in town were favoured as meeting places with
the Feathers and the ? being the most notable. In that period when the Club had as members
the Aides-de-Camp from Government House, that fine building was favoured by the presence
of various of the Club's members.
In 1971 (refer to the President's
Report) the Club returned to Linden Park oval, after the site had been levelled and
re-grassed the previous year (the cutting is represented by the slope down from the
car-park side of the oval), and now re-named Tregenza Oval. Unfortunately, 1971 saw
11 inches of rain turn the new oval into a bog ("thick, smelly, oozy mud"),
which was how it remained for the rest of the year. New goal posts were erected.
The clubhouse was being built - financed by fundraising and donations, most notably
from Sir Norman & Lady Jude, Leigh Garner and others from interstate.
The ground was named after an alderman of Burnside Council. The
plaque by the steps from the lower car park notes "This tablet commemorates the
naming of this oval in recognition of the services rendered to the city of Burnside by
T.B.C. Tregenza Esq. as Alderman and Councillor 1954-1969" Signed W.H.W. Roney
J.P., Mayor and dated the 6th of April 1971
In 1974 the Club was looking to buy a number of telephone boxes from the
PMG (now Telstra) ... " ... The club is interested in these boxes so that we may
provide shelter as well as comfort for our gatekeepers who are provided to us by the
Salvation Army Mens home opposite our clubrooms." (Ed... Were the gatekeepers
requisitioned from the Salvos in quantities greater than but not in excess of ....)
In the "Old Collegians Rugby News", edition 5/78: "The Club
has received a grant and extensions to the club are underway ...... consist basically of
new changing rooms, a juniors room and a store for Council equipment"
October 1st 1978 marked the official opening of the club's extensions.
On the 4th March 1979 Dinny Farrah started work building the outside benches.
February 10th 1982: President suggested, and committee
agreed, that one of the Club stands should be nmed the Brian Douglas
stand. A naming ceremony will be arranged."
The 26th January 1996 edition of the Tregenza Times noted that " ...
you may not know that we have secured a second ground at Urrbrae Agricultural High School.
It is on their main oval on Cross Road and we will have a full size rugby pitch and
training floodlights in place for the beginning of this coming season. It is our
intention to use this ground to take some, not all, of the rugby traffic from Tregenza ...
In the edition of the 25th of February "Training seems to be going well on the new
Urrbrae field." and "Floodlights will be installed at Urrbrae within the next
two weeks. The old goal-post from Tregenza will be transplanted to the Urrbrae
paddock, with a new goal-post to be installed at Tregenza"
Also in the edition of the 25th of February: "At the clubhouse, stairs have been
built from the carpark up to the 'supporters' deck, relegating the muddy hill to the
distant memory! The deck will be extended further to hold more supporters and their
combined drinking arms."
On Friday 1st March 1996, night games were started prior to the regular season commencing
There were further extensions to the clubhouse in 1999. (Photo courtesy of ??).
There are a number of negatives of the aerial view of Tregenza oval and the clubhouse,
taken some time in the 1970's. Below is one of them.
Replacing the railing, 2002. The photo shows Graham Raymond, Denzil
Church and Mira in the background. Missing are Bulla Rokobaro & Murray Curran.
Don't be fooled by Denzil's use of a spirit level ...
Tregenza Times, 10th May 1988
"From Max Ball in Geraldton, W.A. who moved to the west at the end
of 1964 comes a letter expressing appreciation for the welcome given to
him at the Club on what he describes as 'the too few occasions' when he
has been able to visit OCRFC. Also included was a little history which
might interest readers. Appropriately, the letter arrived on Veteran's
'In 1964 the Clubhouse was an idea in the minds of the late Syd
Feldheim and other members and, as I recall, fundraising began. The
(present) premises are a vast improvement on change rooms which
typically had no lights, no hot water and therefore cold showers and
frequently muddy floors.
For the inevitable after match post-mortem, the Botanic Hotel was the
favoured venue. Then, as I read now, the ladies of the Club played an
important part in our success. For home games they would serve
tea, scones, etc., on the side of the field with the slightest only
protection from the elements.'
Well - some things changes and some don't. The ladies are still serving
food and the changeroom floor is probably still muddy but other facilities
are considerably better than in 1964.
Max Ball played 2nds and 1sts for the Club in 1962, 63 and 64 and he was
the S. Wood Memorial Trophy winner for best club man in 1964. He is
currently General Manager for the Geraldton Fishermen's Co-operative